Re: subversion hangs on svn up using 1.6.4 & 1.6.5

On 9/13/2009 1:46 PM, John Bito wrote:
I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem, as svn up produces no
output and svn admin recover says:

svnadmin: Expected repository format '3' or '5'; found format '10'

I imagine that the format 10 indicates that the repository is corrupt.
 Do you have any suggestions for repairing it?

"svnadmin recover" is for recovering a repository, not a working copy. Which are you trying to do?

There's some possibility that subclipse was what created this working
copy, though I was pretty sure I used Cygwin SVN to update it most
recently.  I tried svn up with Cygwin SVN 1.6.4 and then upgraded to
Cygwin SVN 1.6.5, both hang with no output.  Then I tried svnadmin
recover .svn which gives the message above.

What does "svn st" say?

I use "svn up" against an http repository all the time. Also, both releases of SVN passed the test suite, which runs against a local FSFS and BDB repository, as well as svn:// and http:// repositories.

If there's not a clear path to repairing my working copy, do you know
of any guidance for moving work from a broken working copy to a new
checkout so that svn up will merge changes/flag conflicts?

I usually fix this by replacing all the .svn directories in my working copy. I use commands like the following. Note, this is from memory, so check them yourself before running.

% cd /my/working/copy
% find . -name .svn -prune -print0 | xargs -0 rm -fr
% cd /tmp
% svn co http://my/repository/path svn-tmp
% cd svn-tmp
% find . -name .svn -prune -print0 | \
  rsync -avri --files-from=- --from0 ./ /my/working/copy
% cd /my/working/copy
% rm -fr /tmp/svn-tmp
% svn status

I'll burn my books.