Help needed getting unicode working in bash

I'm just getting started with cygwin and really enjoying the linux-like functionality under windows. I have one major problem which is displaying unicode filenames in bash.
There are two references in the cygwin documentation to getting unicode up and running. Unfortunately the FAQ is incredibly brief and provides no usable instructions for a non-expert. http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.unicode

The documentation page is much more detailed, but having read it many, many times, I still have no idea what I actually need to do to get things running. I am not expert enough to understand it. http://www.cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html

To be specific about my problem, I do not need to type unicode under bash, I simply want to be able to list them (using ls) and archive them (using tar). Currently all I get is this: "ls: cannot access ???????????????? : No such file or directory."
Many thanks.
Kit