Re: Compiling Kernal on Cygwin [ELF Error]

Cygwin User <mailing_groups-cygwin <at> yahoo.in> writes:

> Hi all,
> As this is my first mail, so I am very sorry for any violation of rules.
> I am trying to compile Linux Kernal on Cygwin (May be sounds funny,
> but I want to).

Yes, it should be possible to compile a kernel, but you will FIRST have to
compile a cross-compiler, as cygwin does not ship with one.  Not for the faint
of heart.

> Linux on Windows = Cygiwn

Misleading sig line: Cygwin (note the spelling) is an emulation of linux, but
it is not truly running linux on windows.  For that, use a virtual machine.
(By the way, if you do manage to get a cross-compiler working, then build a
kernel, you end up running it as its own OS rather than as a cygwin app).

--
Eric Blake