Re: Can't execute scripts from a samba share with 1.7

On 06/08/2009 18:50, Nahor wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Aug 5 13:40, Nahor wrote:
If I mount with "noacl", I get a slightly different error but still
no cigar:
$ ./t.sh
-bash: ./t.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
$
This only happens if your account doesn't have execute permissions for
the interpreter, in this case /bin/sh. Is it possible that /bin/sh.exe
has weird permission settings for some reason?

The permissions on the interpreter are OK. $ ls -l /bin/sh -rwxr-xr-x 1 nahor Administrators 472064 Jul 1 18:20 /bin/sh $

For that matter, scripts running off the local disk run fine.

Looks like the same problem of inconsistent account ID, setting the
permissions to 755 or running as the domain user fix the "bad
interpreter" error.

I also have this problem in it's second (noacl) form. With this mount

//necker/jon on /home/jon type smbfs (binary,exec,noacl,user)

running the t.sh test script fails in a directory on this mount

Jon@byron ~
$ ls -al t.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 Jon None 19 2009-08-06 15:46 t.sh

Jon@byron ~
$ ./t.sh
-bash: ./t.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

but works fine in a different directory

Jon@byron ~
$ cp t.sh /

Jon@byron ~
$ cd /

Jon@byron /
$ ./t.sh
foo

Running .exe's from the share works fine.

I don't think I have the option of not using noacl, since this share resides on a LinkStation NAS which is running an old version of Samba (2.2.2 if google is to be believed) without acl support.

I'm pretty sure this used to work with Cygwin 1.5

>> One weird thing though, the directory permission are 700 and yet I can
>> list the content of the directory, cd in it and add/delete files. So
>> permissions are not consistently checked. But then, I assume it's
>> because all that is done by Windows/Samba while the permission check on
>> the script is done by Cygwin? Same thing with executing binary (I was
>> able to execute a binary file copied on the share even though I couldn't
>> execute scripts)?
>
> Most of Cygwin relys on the permission checks of the underlying OS.
> In case of scripts, that's not possible.  Therefore it has to check
> script permissions explicitely.  Note that it doesn't do a simple
> POSIX permission bit check, rather it calls an OS function asking
> "does *this* account have the right to execute *that* file?"  That
> should result in the most consistent behaviour, as far as Windows
> consistency goes.

Forgive me if you've already explained the solution, but how then do I arrange for scripts on this share to be seen as executable?