Re: 1.5.25-15: Why my $INITRC "set convert-meta off" seems to fail?

2009/7/27 Rodion Gorkovenko:
> You suppose this is windows, who responsible for this substitution? This thought had not visited my head... I thought substitution is performed by cygwin...

It's done by the Windows text rendering functions. It's fairly useful
actually as a fallback, because at least you end up with something
readable.

> As I wrote earlier, I preset proper codepage in windows console (by mode con cp select=1251 or 866 or 437 at last) - and when I am trying to view file, written in CP1251 by
>
> cp msg.txt con - then I view it all right,
> but with
> cp msg.txt /dev/tty - I view it as a sequence of "aaeieii?oeiaaaieieia"

Right. It would appear that /dev/tty assumes the text is in ISO-8859-1
or CP1252 and sends it to the console as such. But since the console
is set to 1251, Windows' substitution mechanism kicks in and replaces
anything that looks like an 'A' in 1252 with ASCII 'A', as that
displays correctly in 1251.

Possible solutions:
1. Change the system-wide non-Unicode codepage setting in the
Regional&Languages control panel.
2. Set the console codepage before invoking bash in cygwin.bat.
3. Use MinTTY and set the codepage you want on the "Text" page of its
options dialog.
4. Install Cygwin 1.7 and use the locale mechanism documented at
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html

Good luck,
Andy