Questions about setting the CYGWIN env. variable's 'error_start'

Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:21:14 -0400 , Christopher Faylor wrote:
For the curious, I debugged it by doing this:

set CYWGIN=error_start:gdb

When gdb popped up, the stack trace led me straight to the problem.

Thanks for the reminder. Here is the documentation for the 'error_start' option:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

or,

http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

|error_start:Win32filepath| - if set, runs |Win32filepath| when cygwin encounters a fatal error, which is useful for debugging. |Win32filepath| is usually set to the path to *gdb* or *dumper*, for example |C:\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe|. There is no default set.

Is there a canonical or recommended, robust method that should be used
for setting 'error_start'? It appears that your method assumes the value
of PATH is set appropriately. Is it recommended that users define the
environment variable 'Win32filepath' to have the value of the Windows
location of the desired debugger and, if so, can this be changed dynamically?
(That is, if a user changes 'Win32filepath' at, say, a shell prompt, would this
be picked up by 'error_start'?) And has the new 'insight' GUI included
with 'gdb' been tested to work as a value for 'error_start'?