Re: Full 1.7 Install -> "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9"

Stephen M. Kenton wrote:
This seems to be a repeatable problem so I'm reporting it FYI

I have a dual boot Linux/Windows XP Pro box which normally runs Linux, but the wireless card died and it turns out my replacement card does not really work with Linux so I booted into Windows which did work with card so I could get on-line to chase down the driver problem.

While I was there I decided to try Cygwin 1.7 and I did a new install of everything. Shortly after it finished installing I got a strange return from a "find" command so I scheduled a scan disk and rebooted so it could run. There were 20GB free on disk, but I got a couple of messages (paraphrased) about "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9" and index "$SDH for file9".

I thought it might be unrelated to Cygwin 1.7 so I fired up the re-install partition and imaged Windows Pro back on to the disk and then let it patch itself up to SP3 and what-ever that Windows update wanted. Then I scheduled a scan disk and rebooted and observed that it ran cleanly. After which I reinstalled Open Office, FireFox and Thunderbird and repeated the scan disk which was again clean.

At that point I again did a Cygwin 1.7 full install of everything. to c:\cygwin with everything defaults using http from the kernel.org repository. I fired up an X terminal for a few seconds then closed it, shutdown X and scheduled a scandisk and rebooted. As far as I can tell it got exactly the same error messages down to the index and file numbers. Afterwards attempting to start Windows would crash and return to the Bios POST screen and repeat.

Not sure what to make of it, but if anyone has questions/suggestions I'm willing to help try and chase it down. In the mean time I have rebuilt and patched XP Pro etc. but not installed Cygwin 1.7 or 1.5 while I go back to working on the Linux driver issue.

Good idea. ;-)

Sounds to me like it could be a hardware or file system issue which
coincidentally you see surface after you install and run Cygwin.  Cygwin
apps work in user space and can't crash Windows unless they happen to
tickle an O/S bug or other external instability.

Holliston, MA 01746