Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

2009/6/26 Corinna Vinschen:
> > > Yes, I thought of trying AttachConsole first. ÂIt's a band-aid since
> > > it will of course not work if there's just no parent console
> >
> > That can be dealt with, because AttachConsole reports back whether it
> > did manage to attach, so if it doesn't, one can then call AllocConsole
> > and ShowWindowAsync.
>
> Yes, I'm aware how this would work. ÂWhat I mean is, it's *still* a
> band-aid since in case of a fail to attach, you still have to alloc
> a console and you're back to the original problem. ÂWhat we could do
> using that technique is to minimize the number of console windows.
> But it doesn't help to avoid them entirely.

Agreed, a proper workaround is still needed.

> You have still cluttered
> your desktop, or rather, your taskbar with console windows.

I don't see that with MinTTY with ShowWindowAsync(GetConsoleWindow(),
SW_HIDE), at least on Windows 7 RC 64-bit. There's a conhost.exe for
each session in Task Manager, but no console icon in the taskbar.

> The problem with the console handles
> in 64 bit Windows is fixed in the latest builds.

Thanks, I better give that a go. Using AttachConsole would at least
get rid of the popups when invoking from an existing Cygwin session.

Andy