Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:36, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> > Yes, I thought of trying AttachConsole first. ÂIt's a band-aid since
>> > it will of course not work if there's just no parent console
>>
>> That can be dealt with, because AttachConsole reports back whether it
>> did manage to attach, so if it doesn't, one can then call AllocConsole
>> and ShowWindowAsync.
>
> Yes, I'm aware how this would work. ÂWhat I mean is, it's *still* a
> band-aid since in case of a fail to attach, you still have to alloc
> a console and you're back to the original problem. ÂWhat we could do
> using that technique is to minimize the number of console windows.
> But it doesn't help to avoid them entirely. ÂYou have still cluttered
> your desktop, or rather, your taskbar with console windows.

I've been following this discussion, crossing fingers to someone came
to some conclusion, as this is the biggest show-stopper for Cygwin in
several months.

I've not access to a Win 7, but I would like at least to drop some
ideas to someone with more insight comment on and (hopefully) come to
a solution.

1) If we make a service (let's call it cygconsole, or include it in
cygserver, whatever), with no desktop interaction, whose only purpose
is to AllocConsole()...
1.a) do that console gets created?
1.b) Is it invisible?

2) IF the two answers are true, then
2.a) Do an arbitary process can do an attachconsole to the PID of that service?

IF it is also an YES, we have a framework for an
workaround/alternative implementation! Cool?

(crossing fingers)