Re: cygwin standalone package installation script

Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

> I noticed that setup.exe now has some experimental command-line
> options, but it still doesn't support obvious options such as
> specifying specific packages (ONLY) to install.

  It may seem obvious to you that
--entirely-break-my-installation-with-a-random-assortment-of-incompatible-and-conflicting-package-versions
would be a useful command-line option, but I must admit to not having realised
the value of it myself.  If you wish to submit a patch to implement this
feature we'll certainly consider it.

> On one of the m/cs I
> haven't updated cygwin for a very long time, and running setup.exe, I
> found several tens of packages to be updated, include the core cygwin
> dll itself. However, I need one missing package urgently so don't want
> to install all.

  So you want to install this one package, but not its dependencies.  Did you
actually want it to *work*, or did you just want to have the unusable exe
sitting in your /bin dir to make it look prettier?

> I was hoping to click at the root of the packages to
> cycle through from "Default" and find something like "Keep", but it
> cycles through "Install", "Reinstall", "Uninstall", but there is no
> "Keep". Is there another to achieve what I want using the current
> setup.exe interface?

  Yes, there's a great big "Keep" button right at the top of the package chooser.

    cheers,
      DaveK