Re: Is there a script to remove old packages from local disk

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:01:15PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>But those folders do fill up with old cruft after a while.
>>But you wouldn't want to keep different versions of bz2 files around in
>>that case.
>
>Right.  But I do want to keep only the most current versions.

You may, but the OP said:

"Perhaps delete:

	bash-3.2.25-17
	bash-3.2.33-18
	bash-3.2.39-19

and keeping the two most recent updates."

>Not to belabour the point, but if you do a "Download to local
>directory" and then do "Install from local directory" like I do, after
>a few months your local directory has _many_ incremental versions of
>the download files.

Then you get what you paid for.

>>> <duck>
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be nice if setup knew enough to remove the bz2 files for
>>> packages that were no longer current?
>>>
>>> </duck>
>>
>> No need to duck.  I think setup really should just delete the files
>> when it is done with them if you choose "install from internet".
>
>Should it keep only the current .bz2 files if you _download_ from
>the Internet?

That's what I meant, yes.  I think many people don't understand that
those files don't need to be there and since we advocate using
just the straight install from internet, we probably should be nice
and delete the files.

It is also a lot easier to delete files than it is to have setup.exe
iterate over an old directory structure looking for files that could
be arbitrarily called out-of-date.

I really think that if you want to cleanup your download directory
other than that you should use a tool to do it.

cgf