RE: Setup 1.7 2.621

> Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:16:07 +0200
> Subject: Re: Setup 1.7 2.621
>
> On May 11 08:48, Karl M wrote:
>> I then created C:\Cygwin and set the permissions again as above, and
>> ran setup again. This time I had administrator.Administrators where I
>> previously had administrator.root. I did notice that my /etc/group
>> file had each group listed twice (each group listed once, followed by
>> each group listed once).
>
> Bug in the base-passwd-3.0-1 package. I uploaded a fixed 3.1-1 package
> a couple of hours ago.
>
>> I'm not sure how to reproduce the administrator.root results of the
>> first install. It seems that items created by the installation scripts
>> should follow the ownership convention set by setup.
>
> Due to a shortcoming in setup, only the files extracted from packages
> and the file created by setup itself get the Administrators group as
> primary group. The postinstall scripts don't have the Administrators
> group as primary group, rather it's the default primary group of the
> user. There's a chicken-egg problem and there's no solution for this
> yet.
>
> This might explain the "root" group.
>

> Corinna
> Hi All...

I was able to reproduce the symptom with another clean install on my XP Pro
machine. The /etc/group file was interesting...different than the output of
mkgroup. Attached are the /etc/passwd, /etc/group and mkgroup output. The
/etc/passwd file is sanitized for user and machine names. The mkpasswd output
matched the /etc/passwd contents.

I have the installed Cygwin if there is any other useful information.

Thanks,

...Karl

Hotmail® goes with you.