Re: edit Aux.pm under GNU emacs hangs

On Apr  7 12:10, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> * On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:07:00PM +0200 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Apr  6 15:14, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>
> > > Can't have any files named [aA][uU][xX] dot *anything* in Windows, or
> > > anything dot [aA][uU][xX].
> >
> > Incorrect.  This is a restriction in the Win32 API,
>
> This is incorrect, too. This is *not* a restriction of the Win32 API; it

Ok, let me rephrase:  This is a restriction of the ANSI Win32 API.

> is a restriction that only applies if programs do not use the "full"
> name, prepended with "\\.\". This restriction is there for backwards
> compatibility for programs which do not expect the new behaviour, and
> which are restricted in their path length to PATH_MAX.

You meant MAX_PATH, right?  The \\.\ syntax only works for actual
devices.  If you want to create such a file called aux.pm using the
Win32 API you have to use the \\?\ syntax and the wide char functions.
CreateFileA does not allow to do that, only CreateFileW.

> > > On so-called 16-bit windows systems this could cause a system crash. I
> > > learned this the hard way.
> >
> > Cygwin 1.7 doesn't support 16-bit OSes.
>
> Did Cygwin support any 16 bit Windows at any time? I can't remember a
> Cygwin for DOS, or a Cygwin for Windows 2.03. ;)

Well, no.  But weren't Windows 95/98/Me only 32 bit extensions to a
16 bit OS? ;)

Corinna

Red Hat