Re: Upgrade woes ("file in use")

On 2009-03-29 23:51Z, Nuzhna Pomoshch wrote:

> I have been fighting this for another two weeks with no
> progress whatsoever. Does any documentation exist that
> describes the least painful way to reinstall everything
> (specifically including what I should back up)? I also
> would place a high value on not having to download all of
> the packages again.

I would first uninstall Cygwin completely:
  http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all
(item number four says how to avoid re-downloading), and
then follow the usual instructions to install freshly
using the "Install Cygwin now" link here:
  http://cygwin.com/

There's no general, comprehensive answer to the question
what you'd want to back up. I'd include anything that I
had customized in the home directory, but that's just one
example.