Re: gcc4: cc

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Yaakov (Cygwin/X) on 3/17/2009 10:52 PM:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>>   Ah, thanks for pointing this out.  (The packages are of course broken as far
>>> as portability is concerned, as upstream GCC does not anywhere provide a 'cc'
>>> executable; it's presence in the gcc-3 package is caused by the build script
>>> creating a symlink as a convenience, so it's wrong in general to assume that
>>> there "must be" an executable called 'cc' in the PATH.)  I'll add it back into
>>> the next release.
>> Actually, SUSv2 requires a cc and c89; SUSv3 mentions only a c99.
>
> So it would be nice to have all three names.  And perhaps c89 (but not the
> others) should imply --std=gnu89.

Just as a point of reference, Gentoo Linux provides c89 and c99 as shell
scripts, which contain the following:

- ----- 8< ----- /usr/bin/c89 ----- 8< -----
#! /bin/sh

# Call the appropriate C compiler with options to accept ANSI/ISO C
# The following options are the same (as of gcc-2.95):
# 	-ansi
# 	-std=c89
# 	-std=iso9899:1990

for i; do
    case "$i" in
	-ansi|-std=c89|-std=iso9899:1990)
	    ;;
	-std=*)
	    echo >&2 "`basename $0` called with non ANSI/ISO C90 option $i"
	    exit 1
	    ;;
    esac
done

exec gcc -std=c89 -pedantic -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE "$@"
- ----- 8< ----- /usr/bin/c99 ----- 8< -----
#! /bin/sh

# Call the appropriate C compiler with options to accept ANSI/ISO C
# The following options are the same (as of gcc-3.3):
# 	-std=c99
# 	-std=c9x
# 	-std=iso9899:1999
# 	-std=iso9899:199x

for i; do
    case "$i" in
	-std=c9[9x]|-std=iso9899:199[9x])
	    ;;
	-ansi|-std=*)
	    echo >&2 "`basename $0` called with non ANSI/ISO C99 option $i"
	    exit 1
	    ;;
    esac
done