Re: Upgrade woes ("file in use")

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd@panix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Nuzhna Pomoshch <yay@I remembered!>
> wrote:
>>
>> During a recent upgrade of about a dozen packages, I saw
>> the ?Cygwin setup window progress normally ("deleting
>> package xyz..."), and then up popped a window that said:
>>
>> "In-use files detected"
>>
>> "Unable to extract /etc/postinstall/bash.sh -- the file is
>> in use. Please stop all Cygwin processes and select
>> 'Retry,' or select 'Continue' to go on anyway (you will
>> need to reboot)."
>>
>> I didn't have any Cygwin processes running
>
> There can be processes running that you can't see easily. ?I use
> Process Explorer, from <http://www.sysinternals.com/>, which now
> redirects to
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx>.
> Perhaps the default Task Manager works OK for this purpose.

The Windows Task Manager will indeed show you all the processes
running on your computer.  However, Process Explorer can show you the
dlls and handles that processes are using.  It also lets you search
for specific items, like etc\postinstall\bash.sh (use backslash as a
separator, or you won't get any hits).

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  Simplest thing to do would be to re-run through setup.exe with everything
> set to 'reinstall', but you'll need to find out what's interfering and disable
> it first.  If you need to do an emergency repair to get up and running, you
> should be able to get at least somewhere by copying 'sh.exe' to 'bash.exe' in
> the cygwin bin dir using DOS or windows explorer.

Reinstalling everything is probably overkill.  I would reinstall the
Base group, then use cygcheck -c to figure out which other packages
need to be reinstalled.  Reinstall any packages that aren't OK, and
then everything should work.