RE: _pinfo::dup_proc_pipe: DuplicateHandle failed

Hugh Sasse wrote on 22 May 2008 12:08:

>> relsondt1--> ./hello.sh
>> + Bcc +BccDos.cfg -c -Ic:/BC45/INCLUDE -D -oHELLO.OBJ HELLO.CPP
>>   7 [main] bash 5564! _pinfo::dup_proc_pipe: DuplicateHandle failed, \
>>     pid   5564, hProcess 0x6DD, wr_proc_pipe 0x750, Win32 error 6
>
> That Win32 error looks more like it is to do with Windows than Cygwin
> per se.   So what is "Win32 error 6"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681382(VS.85).aspx

ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE

> which says there are problems with your registry if you get this.

  No, it's what you'd expect if you try and dup a handle that's already been
closed - an indication that the child exited prematurely.  This is one of
those semi-generic fork failures that could be BLODA, but another
possibility is that because this is a non-cygwin app being launched from
cygwin, it might be pulling in a dll that causes a rebase conflict.

  Following the rebaseall procedure described in the "Usage:" section of
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.4.3.README might help as is, or it might be
necessary to find a list of the dlls being pulled in by the borland compiler
and rebase them too by adding a -T option pointing to a file that lists the
(cygwin-style posix) paths to the BC45 dlls.

We've got the same problem using BORLAND C 4.52.  I tried the
rebasing-procedure as described including the bc45 DLLs.  But anyway, the
problem persists.  Ebereythiong worked fine with cygwin 1.5.19 and failed
after upgrading to 1.5.25.  After a couple of days of searching for a
kludge, I'm really frustrated. There's a high timely pressure on the
project.  I'd like to downgrade to 1.5.19 just to get it running again.  But
where can we get precedent revisions? Or is there anything else that I could
try?

Hermann Kleier