Re: I'm Completely Down after Upgrading to the Latest Cygwin

Don Mies wrote:
I had been using cygwin for years but had not upgraded for over a year so I decided to upgrade this weekend and did so.

There were no errors or complaints during the upgrade process and I used all of the default settings in the dialogs.

My cygwin environment is no longer functional after the upgrade and I have not been able to make any progress in fixing it.

As directed, I've attached a copy of the output from the cygcheck program to this email.

Main symptoms:

1) My shortcut for starting an xterm window no longer works correctly. When I use it, I get a window with all the proper looking decorations. It has a title of "xterm" but there is a new menu bar with 3 items in it: "Main Options", "VT Options", "VT Fonts". These look like items in the VT-100 windows mode that used to be invoked via the ctrl-<mouse button> shortcuts. I can select items from these menus and all 3 pop down and appear to work normally.
In the text portion of the window, I have a prompt which is not what I used to have. The main problem with this window is that it is completely unresponsive to the keyboard and mouse in the text portion of the window. Typing in this area does not echo and no commands are executed. This is completely dead. If I select "Main Options/Send INT signal" it appears to work and I get a new line of text in the text portion of the window with another prompt but I still cannot type anything in the window.

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-i-cant-type-anything>

<snip>

I realize that all this appears to be X related and I initially thought about posting this on the cygwin-xfree mailing list but I did not do that because I think there is something more fundamental wrong here.

No, you just upgraded X without understanding the changes that have occurred recently. There is active development on Cygwin-X again. You may want to go back and re-read the announcements. You're working with a modular X environment now.

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#modular>

The Cygwin-X list would be the proper place to follow-up on any of
these X issues if you need further help.

Even though my "PATH" variable looks reasonable, I think the problems I'm having are related to the funny directories that the system is trying to add to my PATH with I start a window.

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-x-is-broke>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746