Re: MinTTY

Christopher Faylor wrote:
I finally played around with this a little.  It is nice.   It reminds
me a little bit of Console2 - http://console.sourceforge.net/.

One thing that Console2 does is provide a true "console" interface which
doesn't rely on anything like Cygwin's ptys.

On the other hand, it isn't actually a terminal emulator as such. What it does do is to put a nicer interface on the Windows console, so for Cygwin programs you still get Cygwin's console-based terminal.

Console2 apparently uses a polling interface over a captive invisible
console to fool programs into thinking that they are running in a real
Windows console.

It accesses the console's screen contents through Win32's GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo() and displays it in its own window while hiding the actual console. I can't see a way to combine this sort of approach with ptys.

On further reflection, I think that the fact that mintty uses cygwin
ptys may be a show stopper as far as making it the default is concerned.
I don't think we can have the default command line interface misbehave
when it runs some standard Windows programs, like, if memory serves, the
"NET" command in some cases.

As things stand, it's a choice between full support either for Windows console applications or for Unix terminal applications. I'd guess that the latter is more important to most Cygwin users. Not my call though.

Also, the mouse behavior isn't like xterm or xterm imitators so it
wouldn't necessarily be intuitive for someone coming over from linux.
I'm sure that could be changed though.  Did I miss a configuration
for mouse and cut/paste behavior?

Middle-click paste is always available, and copy-on-select and right-click extend can be enabled on the Mouse page of the options. (In the latter case, the menu is still available via Shift-right-click and the context menu key. The options can also be found in the window menu.)

I still think it would be a nice addition to the list of Cygwin
packages.  It gets my +1 vote.

Thanks!

Oh, and if you want to get rid of the console window when mintty is
started from a bat file, I think FreeConsole() would do the trick.

I'll give that a try. Perhaps I should make it a command line option if I can get it to work?

Andy