Re: MinTTY

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

-i" on the shortcut's command line. That would be a nice one to have in the
configuration dialogs, but I don't see how you avoid the registry in that
case. Maybe just going with "bash --login -i" as the default if you don't
tell it otherwise would be a 90% solution.

MinTTY's current behaviour is the same as rxvt's and xterm's, and I think it makes sense not to execute the profile when starting a new terminal from within an existing session using just 'rxvt&' or 'mintty&'.

I don't recall what Setup.exe's
Shortcut capabilities are, but if it's capable enough, the setup package
could tack that on the end when it generates a shortcut for it.

That's definitely the way to go.

- The ability to configure it via dialogs, especially such 21st century
things as fg/bg/cursor colors and the font and point size to use, is most
excellent and most welcome.

:)

- From the web page: "Mousewheel events can be sent as arrow keys. (This
allows mousewheel scrolling e.g. in less.)"  All I get is dings, and I don't
see any documentation as to how to set this up.

Yep, unfortunately no docs yet. (Issue 2.)

When on the alternate screen and not in application mouse mode, mousewheel-up/down sends arrow-up/down combined with the scroll modifier configured under Keys, so with the default Shift you get ^[[1;2A and ^[[1;2B. (Replace the 2 with 3 for Alt or 5 for Ctrl).

The thinking behind that is that this replaces the terminal scrollback when on the alternate screen, and that plain arrows mean cursor movement rather than scrolling. And a word of warning: the feature doesn't work in Vista when the scrollbar is shown. Looks like the inactive scrollbar is swallowing the mousewheel events.

Activate mousewheel scrolling in 'less' with the following two lines in your .lesskey file. Don't forget to run 'lesskey' to compile it into less's internal format.

\eO1;2A back-line
\eO1;2B forw-line

Btw, it's 'O' rather than '[' here, because 'less' switches into "application cursor key" mode. (Yep, the world of terminals is full of fascinating yet strangely pointless details like that.)

- OMG FULL-SCREEN MODE!  Where we're going, we don't need roads!  Dude, if
you tell me that it uses DirectX and a multi-hundred-dollar video card to
throw up a full-screen 80x24 text interface I will laugh for a week ;-)!

Don't worry, it's plain ol' Win32. Another goodie from PuTTY. Combine fullscreen with transparency and an auto-hiding taskbar for maximum geek cred. :)

	MinTTY:
	$ set | grep TERM
	TERM=xterm

The proper thing to do would be to set TERM to "mintty", but that would require termcap and terminfo entries. I guess that might be worth considering for a MinTTY package, although iirc KDE's Konsole and GNOME's terminal also just set it to "xterm", because like MinTTY they aim to be compatible with (the default config of) xterm. Would make life easier for everyone to settle on that as a standard.

- It should default to "Show scrollbar" being on.  For a while there I
thought I didn't have a scrollback buffer.

Agreed, switching it off by default took the minimalism a bit too far. Issue 19.

- The default Lucida 9-point seems rather too small to me.  Now, my eyes are
no spring chickens anymore, but even so, I think 12 point would be a better
default.

I'd realised that before seeing your mail and already increased it to 10point in 0.3.1. That's also the default in PuTTY and Windows Notepad, and pretty similar in size to the bitmap font in the Windows console. Obviously matter of personal preference though, hence the option. (No kidding.)

- When you open the Options dialog, it takes two clicks to select one of the
option catagories in the tree pane on the left, as if the first is getting
ignored for some reason.

Ah yes, I never did get round to investigate that one. Issue 20.

- It doesn't handle resizing correctly.  I.e., with my urxvt-X.exe+Xwin
setup, if I do "echo $PATH" (which goes way over 80 chars) and then I resize
the window, the previously-printed path gets re-layed-out to fill the entire
client area.  With MinTTY, that doesn't happen.  No relayout happens on
either increasing or decreasing the window width (and hence the number of
columns).  Subsequently printed output does however take the new number of
columns into account.  To me, this is the most significant issue I've seen
so far.

Plain rxvt and xterm do the same, and it would be quite a big and risky change in code I don't know much about to implement relayouting.

Simon Tatham has a PuTTY wish for an apparently simpler version of this:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/resize-no-truncate.html

(Btw, resizes are signalled to applications, so relayouting does work in apps that handle that signal, e.g. less.)

- I don't see a config option to set the number of lines of scrollback
buffer.  Whatever it is defaulting to seems like plenty, but it would be
nice to have that in the config dialogs.

I've rather arbitrarily fixed it to 16k. Another one for the docs. I can't really see the point in making this a config dialog option though. Perhaps a config-file-only option?

> Again Andy, good work.

Thank you very much for your encouraging and comprehensive feedback!

Andy