Re: Finally managed to create a jailed SFTP server, but how secure?

TheO wrote:
Risk is exactly my main concern here.

<snip>

I understand that in theory Cygwin, as a normal Win32 process, can't offer more protection that what Windows can.

<snip>

The thing is as a newbie in Cygwin, I don't know the exact inner working of Cygwin. I
don't know what Cygwin does when it is chroot'ing. I know very little of what it does when I log on using public key authentication (it runs under sshd account as opposed to user account). I don't know why under chroot setting, Cygwin creates /cygdrive under my /jail directory. And I don't know what one can do if he has read access to it. I am
just an ordinary Cygwin user from this perspective with no knowledge of Cygwin internal
process.

That's why I need input from those who have more visibility than me to point me to the
right direction.

And you've been pointed in that direction. Sorry if it falls short of your hopes but at the moment at least, that's the best advice we can give you.

Holliston, MA 01746