Re: Strange crash for application linked to cygwin libraries.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Mark Geisert <mark@maxrnd.com> wrote:
> Peter Ross writes:
>> I've written an application which does some initialization and then
>> does a tcp accept.  5 minutes and 20 seconds give or take after doing
>> the tcp.accept the application aborts with exit code 0.  If I
>> continually send tcp data to this application then the crash doesn't
>> occur, it is only after 5 minutes and 20 seconds of waiting for I/O.
> [...]
>> Here is the complete list of libraries that I use  -lodbc32 -lole32
>> -lraptor -lxslt -lcurl -lz -lxml2 -ldb -lssl -lcrypto -lexpat
>> -lwsock32
>
> You haven't supplied the canonical problem report info as requested in...
>
>> Problem reports:       <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
>
> ...so only WAGs come to mind:  Try it without using wsock32.  Cygwin has its
> own implementation of the TCP/IP networking functions and there might be
> unpleasant mixing of semantics when wsock32 is explicitly linked in.

Thanks for the WAG, unfortunately it didn't work.

> Something else you could try is running the app under strace to see if anything
> obviously erroneous sticks out.

Now I get a seg-fault when running under strace (it doesn't even get
to the tcp accept), but when I try and attach to the process using
gdb.  I get the following error.

$ ps aux | grep wos
     1740       1    1740       1740  con  500 04:15:28 /cygdrive/e/wos_fpz/syst
em/build/wos_server

Administrator@spare ~/wos_fpz/system/build
$ gdb ./wos_server
GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) attach 1740
Can't attach to process.
(gdb)

> Most helpful of all for debugging this would probably be a <http://cygwin.com/
> acronyms/#STC>.

Yes, I agree, I was just hoping that there was something else I could
try before I tried to reduce my 1132 file application down to a simple
test case.  Using strace seems to be an idea, but I can't get paste
how to connect to the process to see where the seg fault is.

Anyway thanks for your help.