Re: Cygwin bash

John Emmas wrote:

> When I double click the 'Cygwin' icon on my Windows desktop, a DOS-like
> window opens which I'm led to believe is Cygwin's bash terminal.  However,
> with every version of Linux that I've used, the bash terminal had menus
> allowing me to do certain things like (for example) copying & pasting text.
> Cygwin's terminal window is more like a DOS one with no menus and very
> limited copy & paste features.  Is that correct or has something gone wrong
> with my installation?

What you are seeing is a Windows console.  It's provided by the
operating system for any executable that was marked as a console mode
app.  It is not bash-specific and indeed bash (and cygwin1.dll) have
zero control over how it behaves or operates.  If you want something
with more sophistication you need to use a different terminal, such as
rxvt, xterm, cygputty, poderosa, or console.  But the default Windows
console does not require installing an X11 server or any other external
software which is why it's the default.

Brian