1.5.25: XP SP3 / cygrunsrv sshd can't start

On my cygwin installation, cygrunsrv fails when trying to start sshd.

Fresh windows and cygwin install.  The computer was working fine with a similar set-up until I had a non-cygwin related system issue which forced a reinstall.

If I installed Windows XP SP3 directly and then tried to get sshd working via ssh-host-config, cygrunsrv -S sshd returns:
   $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
   cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
   The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Removing XP SP3 and starting with an install of XP SP2 and cygwin - sshd runs fine, even right after Windows upgraded itself to SP3 via AutoUpdates.

Today, 24 hours after the AutoUpdate to SP3, sshd again fails in the same manner.

Removing sshd (cygrunsrv --remove sshd) and re-running ssh-host-config now gives the error that the permissions on the directory /var are not correct.

output of ls -ld /var:
   $ ls -ld /var
   drwxrwx---+ 8 computerADMIN Users 0 Sep 28 22:26 /var/

So, I chmod'd /var to match the error message from ssh-host-config:
  $ chmod a-rw /var
  $ chmod a+xt /var
  $ ls -ld /var
   d--x--x--t+ 8 computerADMIN Users 0 Sep 28 22:26 /var/

Same error:
   $ cygrunsrv -S sshd
   cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
   The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

My only other thought was to check the permissions on /var/empty, which are currently:
  $ ls -ld /var/empty
   drwxr-xr-x+ 2 SYSTEM root 0 Sep 28 22:26 /var/empty/

Don't know if that's good or not.

cygcheck.out attached.

Thanks,
Jonathan