Re: Question about cygwin-1.5.25-11 release notes

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Christopher Faylor <> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 01:22:47PM -0400, Sean Daley wrote:

>>> (Hopefully someone will chime in with a more authoritative answer, but...)
>>>
>>> Cygwin runs fine for me on 2k3 x64, so if you're worried that it just
>>> crashes in general, it doesn't.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that means things that are supposed to non-destructively create
>>> stack traces (e.g. gdb) would crash, or possibly that the trace you get when
>>> something crashes for some other reason would cause a second crash (such
>>> that you don't get the trace).
>>>
>>> As we were discussing earlier, userspace apps should not be able to take out
>>> the OS :-), and since I'm not aware of anything in Cygwin that tries to run
>>> in kernel space, any OS crashes would not be Cygwin's fault.
>>
>>I've been following that thread as well too and was pretty sure that it
>>was not going to be causing a hardware crash.  I was just informed
>>though that there was some misinformation given to us and the actual OS
>>was not crashing just the application ,in general, was crashing.  So
>>we're trying the latest 1.5 dll and seeing how that goes.
>
> The message says that something was fixed four releases and three months
> prior to the current shipping version of the Cygwin DLL.  I don't see
> any reason to be concerned about upgrading to an even newer release.
> The announcement said that the problem was FIXED after all.
>
> cgf

I'm not concerned about upgrading to a newer release.  At the time I
asked my question
people kept telling me that the actual server itself was crashing (not
just the app).
That didn't make sense to me based on the whole "userapp cannot crash
OS thread".

I decided to look at the changelogs though of more recent Cygwin
versions and saw that
there was a crash fix for 2003 x64.  Given that I was dealing with a
crash relating to x64,
I just wanted to be sure what that statement meant.

Since then though, as I said in my previous email, the whole OS
crashing thing was
bogus and it was just an app crash so my original question doesn't
even need answering
anymore (that's what I was trying to imply with my last response).

In the end, whether or not this was an OS or an app crash I was going
to upgrade to Cygwin
latest anyway.