Re: Question about cygwin-1.5.25-11 release notes

Sean Daley wrote:
I've got a quick question regarding one of the bullet points on the
release of cygwin-1.5.25-11.

- Fix a crash when creating stackdumps on Windows XP x64 Edition and
  Windows 2003 Server x64 Edition.

When it says crash, does that mean that the 2003x64 OS actually
crashes or a cygwin app will crash
on 2003x64?

(Hopefully someone will chime in with a more authoritative answer, but...)

Cygwin runs fine for me on 2k3 x64, so if you're worried that it just crashes in general, it doesn't.

I'm guessing that means things that are supposed to non-destructively create stack traces (e.g. gdb) would crash, or possibly that the trace you get when something crashes for some other reason would cause a second crash (such that you don't get the trace).

As we were discussing earlier, userspace apps should not be able to take out the OS :-), and since I'm not aware of anything in Cygwin that tries to run in kernel space, any OS crashes would not be Cygwin's fault.

--
Matthew
"Who wants to sing?" -- Orcs (Warcraft II)