Re: Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash - starting from scratch :-)

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] schrieb:
Dirk Napierala wrote on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:51 PM:
using other methods to launch the file (like unzip or cmd /c) is not
an option due to company internals.

Can we assume that using the cygwin program cygstart.exe* is also ruled out? (*or maybe run.exe)

cygstart.exe and run.exe will start the SFX zip file as well.
while doing it via ./*SFXfile.exe* doesn't.
Following the guideline "Changing Cygwin's Maximum Memory" from http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
the result of maxmem is
$ ./maxmem.exe
5fffe000 bytes (1536.0Mb)
(same result on a 2GB system as well as on a 4GB system) changing
this by regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygnus\
Solutions/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 1024 or regtool -i set
/HKLM/Software/Cygnus\ Solutions/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 1536
followed by a reboot did not solve the issue.

I don't recall that you reported the results of setting this to a very big number as suggested by Chris Faylor. (Please excuse me if you did and I missed it.) For example:

$ regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygnus\
Solutions/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 2048

You might also try 3072 and 4096.  And you might want to check
that your swap file can grow big enough to handle it.
  Control Panel
    => System
    => Performance [Settings]
    => Performance [Change]
    => Virtual memory [Change]

We tried this in the meantime without success. The problem is narrowed down to cygwin1.dll in the meantime.
See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-09/msg00545.html

Thanks Dirk
Good luck!

- Barry
- Disclaimers:
- Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.
- Use any suggestion* I make at your own risk.
(* e.g., playing with the swap file)