Re: Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash - starting from scratch :-)

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:51:28PM +0200, Dirk Napierala wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I think it would be the best to give this topic a new start from scratch
> trying to add some more input from our side.
>
> We discovered an issue  trying to open big selfextracting zip files.
> Trying to do so result in the following error:
>
> ./*selfextracting_zipfile*.exe
> bash: ./*selfextracting_zipfile*.exe: Cannot allocate memory
>
> using other methods to launch the file (like unzip or cmd /c) is not an
> option due to company internals.
> Also rebuilding the zip file or span it is not an option. We have to use
> the zip file as it is and it have
> to be started as mentiond above.
> (I know this is somehow stupid, but thats the way it is and we are
> unfortunately  not able to change this fact
> Please don't let us take this into the discussion)
>
> But  just to let you know, using unzip or cmd /c to start it is working
> well. (Indicator for a bash issue ???)
>
> This only happens to huge files (guess the limit is  above 1.5GB size)
> The one we are currently trying is 1,75 GB (1.883.969.903 Bytes)
> Smaller once are working fine.
>
> Following the guidline "Changing Cygwin's Maximum Memory"  from
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
> the result of maxmem is
> $ ./maxmem.exe
> 5fffe000 bytes (1536.0Mb)
> (same result on a 2GB system as well as on a 4GB system)
> changing this by
> regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygnus\ Solutions/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb
> 1024

Why would you expect that setting the memory size to LESS than the size of
the zip file would work?

> or
> regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygnus\ Solutions/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb
> 1536
> followed by a reboot did not solve the issue.

Ditto.

It probably will not make a difference but it seems like you really should
be trying to set the size to something noticeably larger than the size of
your gzip files.

> It happens on the current version available for download 1.5.25-15
> and also with the new 1.7.0 (base-files version 3.7-1)(thanks to Volker
> Zell providing us this one for testing)
>
> If we are using an older version instead (1.5.18 base-files version
> 3.6-1) this issue doesn't show up.
> It seems to be hardware and memory amount independent. Tested on several
> Dell desktop systems with 2GB
> and finaly on my Laptop with 4GB memory.
>
> Looking forward to a cygwin developer to troubleshoot this.
> Thanks in advance for any constructive feeback.

I am a developer.  I responded to you here.

You still need to provide some details.

cgf