Re: [OT] polite response to a polite response - Larry...

Barry Smith at SourceLink wrote:
The first step in the process is very often to report the problem to the
provider of the software.

... and correctly diagnosing which software is responsible is often a
problem that exceeds most end users.

This list has no problem with providing feedback to users about where the problem lies when that's clear and also helping users pinpoint many problems that they can't figure out themselves.

- As pointed out in the "CygX Run" thread, M$ is usually to blame.

Yep. That was the one I was responding to.

I'm so sorry that RAR won't "play nice" with cygwin, but it "plays nice"
with Windows, Linux, Unix, and other operating systems. cygwin is a Windows tool, like dBase, Rbase, RAR
and so many others.

<snip>

I won't comment on this since I don't have any useful input.

For this issue, that would mean reporting it to MS...
Not to my way of thinking. ZIP SFX is the root of the problem. Not Zip, Not
Windows, Zip SFX without
Spanning. I would have to do some more research with the users before
deciding who the issue should be reported to.

Again, my reply was directed at the discussion about 'run' so I'll offer no arguments for or against your analysis of the ZIP SFX issue. IMO, it would be best to keep any further discussion on the ZIP SFX issue in the thread where it first came up, assuming there's something new, useful, and Cygwin-related in any follow-up.

Holliston, MA 01746