From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of
Brian Dessent
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:12 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...

Barry Smith at SourceLink wrote:

> > That doesn't mean that 'run' was at fault.
> Yet it could have been at fault, or the cygwin memory allocation could
> be at fault, or Windoze, or the tool that you're RUN-ing.

The "Cygwin memory allocation" most certainly could not be at fault, nor
could the tool being run.  Again, the one and only thing that is culpable
when a BSOD occurs is code running in kernel mode.  Any attempt from
user-space to do anything untoward simply results in a software fault, with
a default handler installed by the OS which terminates the process if it
does not handle the fault itself.  Thus the very worst a process can ever do
is get itself terminated.  Anything more is simply not possible, as enforced
by the processor which is running in protected mode.

That's not to say that a BSOD cannot result from the action of running
user-space code, but when it does the underlying reason for the BSOD cannot
possibly be in the user-space code, it must be a bug in kernel-mode code
because by definition it is charged with disallowing any process from
destabilizing the system, and it has failed.

(And please, it's spelled Cygwin, not CygWIN.)

Brian