Re: [OT] polite response to rather rude reponse...

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 09:57:32AM -0400, Barry Smith at SourceLink wrote:
>Thank you for the tone.  I'm trying to be helpful.

Do you know what "FUD" stands for?  You seem to think it's profanity.
Spreading FUD is exactly what you are doing.

>>Stop spreading FUD.  There is no way a userland app like "run.exe" can
>>"cause" a blue screen.  Only something running in kernel space -- like
>>windows core ode, or certain device drivers -- can ever do that.
>
>Then I guess you don't read the cygwin archives, because that's where I
>read the entire thread while I was researching RUN/START execution
>under cygwin.

You can find all manner of things on the "world wide web".  That doesn't
mean that you should be citing anything you find as definitive.

We tend to react strongly to suggestions that Cygwin, which runs in user
space, could cause something like a BSOD.  Windows is far from a perfect
OS but running a simple user program should not crash it.  That doesn't
mean that there it is impossible for a simple user program to crash it
but if Windows crashes, it's a serious Windows bug not a program bug.

Oh, and if you are going to make a point like this then you should post
a pointer to the thread where this has been discussed.  If you do that
I'd wager that in 99% of the cases where an issue like this is discussed
in a Cygwin mailing list someone has made the same points that Chuck and
Brian have made in this thread.

cgf