Re: slow filesystem access mc start take sometimes 1 sec sometimes upto 7 sec or sometimes more

Hello Larry

On 22.09.08, you wrote:

>> So i think its illegal to change the homedir on the bat file ?
>
> No, it's not.  I don't have an explanation for the behavior you're
> seeing.
>
> Your solution will work, though it has the disadvantage of setting
> HOME for all Cygwin users and it won't work for 'ssh', if you ever
> decide to use that.  An alternative that should do the same thing
> and avoid the problems I mentioned above is to use the '-p' flag
> to 'mkpasswd'.  If you're concerned that you'll forget to add the

I add now the set HOME line in cygwin.bat again and remove export HOME line
in etc/profile

when i choose -p /cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/

then the dirs in passwd files are

/cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/administrator
/cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/bernd
/cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/aspnet
/cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/gast
/cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/hilfeassistent

i create all dirs by hand and do
mkpasswd -l -p /cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp/

again.

I start a new bash and problem is same slow.homedir is in
/cygdrive/e/amiga/amidevcpp
then i remove the set HOME line in cygwin.bat again.start is fast

now there come a errror about group, passwd and some files are copy.
i am not sure what i exactly do, wy it work after the error, but now the
homepath is in e/amiga/amidevcpp/bernd
dir and start fast.

also i can now add the set HOME=e/amiga/amidevcpp/bernd line in cygwin.bat
and it work fast

But when i now change the set HOME line in cygwin.bat to another dir, then
it work slow.
So on my system, it is impossible to change the HOME path in cygwin.bat.if
you have a winxp with SP3 maybe you can try out what happen on your
system.maybe it is not good to change windows HOME, maybe the WLAN driver
use HOME.
i have a devolo wlan USB stick

or maybe add to FAQ in slowdown entry, that there can be problems that on
some system set HOME in cygwin.bat cause slowdown.
also that problems can occur if the windows home dir have . in name and
passwd should create with mkpasswd -l -p /cygdrive/drive......

i also dont be sure if the installer always create on install new correct
passwd file and seetings.

i delete my passwd file 1 try before i change the local package path to same
as home path(i choose in installer), but the passwd file is not recreate.

maybe a option in installer(by default not active) recreate allways all
setting/passwd files is usefull ?

but anyway i have now a good and stable working cygwin.

> flag and its option text if you run 'mkpasswd' again, you can always
> create a mkpasswd alias that includes what you want/need.

Regards