g_assertions

Hi - I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question.  I'm just
starting to use Cygwin.  Firstly, the Cygwin web site says that the current
version is 1.5.25-15 but my install log says that it installed 2.573.2.3 so
I'm a bit confused about that.  Anyway, apart from that, the installation
seemed to succeed and I've been using Cygwin, off & on, for a few weeks.

I'm now starting to compile a project using glibmm.  Inside glib.h there are
some assertions, defined something like this:-

#define g_assert(expr)   G_STMT_START{  \
    if (!(expr))      \
      g_log (G_LOG_DOMAIN,     \
      G_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR,    \
      "file %s: line %d: assertion failed: (%s)", \
      __FILE__,      \
      __LINE__,      \
      #expr);   }G_STMT_END

These compile perfectly with my gcc compiler but when I try to use them with
Cygwin I get this error:-

error: stray '\' in program

It's pretty obvious why this is happening - but terminating a line with '\'
is valid code.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I can eliminate
it by #defining G_DISABLE_ASSERT - but then I'll lose the assertion
checks, which I'd really like to keep.  Is there something else I could do
to prevent this error?

Thanks,

John