Re: slow filesystem access mc start take sometimes 1 sec sometimes upto 7 sec or sometimes more

Hello Larry

On 21.09.08, you wrote:

thanks to your help, i find now out whats problem.it seem not allowed to
change
in the cygwin.bat file the HOME dir.

here it is suggestet to do.also on other pages.so i first get not in mind,
that this is problem.

http://www.jabadaw.co.uk/maverik/cygwin.html

"""""
Using wordpad, create a .bat file for starting cygwin:

SET HOME=C:\CYGWIN\HOME\KEATESM
SET CYGWIN=tty binmode
CD %HOME%
bash
"""""

Because i dont like HOME in my home dir on drive c, i add the line in
cygwin.bat

set HOME=E:\amiga\amidevcpp

I use the dir i install cygwin, and it is no windows homedir.

and when i remove this line in cygwin.bat , cygwin work always fast.but
because my etc dir is not there, i add in etc/profile a line export
HOME=e:/amiga/amidevcpp

then all work ok.i dont want now my hand modified passwd file and do

mkpasswd -l > etc/passwd

the passwd is create on correct place.
After bash restart, bash, mc etc all work fast now.

So i think its illegal to change the homedir on the bat file ?

in the etc/profile file i add the lines here.

""""""""""""""""
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
export PATH

MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:$MANPATH
export MANPATH

INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info:$INFOPATH
export INFOPATH
+export HOME=e:/amiga/amidevcpp
"""""""""""""""""

now i check if logitech webcam work, maybe thats problem too.

> OK, this explains it. I should have seen this before when I reviewed your
> cygcheck output but I missed it. The home directory in your '/etc/passwd'
> is invalid. What are the permissions on your home directory? Make sure you

I work as admin and have full access.

> have full access to it in both the POSIX world of permissions ('ls -l')
> and in the world of ACLs (getfacl). If this isn't the problem, you can try
> creating a '/home/bernd' directory, symlinking it to the home directory
> you want (or just using it directly), and pointing your entry in
> '/etc/passwd' to it.

Here is my unmodified passwd entry for my Gast account.this have no dots in
path.

Gast:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:501:513:U-BERND-LBZQ11NHW\Gast,S-1-5-21-484763869-1563985344-839522115-501:/cygdrive/c/Dokumente
und Einstellungen/Gast:/bin/bash

> The reason you're getting slowed down by network access with bash on
> startup is because Cygwin can't find or get access to your home directory
> and you've been given the default home directory of '/'. The above output
> from strace shows that when bash is trying to access '.terminfo' in your
> home directory, it's assuming that you're going to have some directory
> path for your home. So it prepends a '/'. But for you, your home directory
> is only '/'. As a result, you end up with '//.terminfo'. '//' triggers
> implementation-defined behavior and the special treatment in this case is
> allowed by POSIX. On traditional UNIX platforms, repeated slashes are
> collapsed to 1. On Windows, they are not. They map to UNC file names which
> interact with the network. See
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.slow> for more info
> about '//' and how it's handled by Cygwin. Although this FAQ addresses a
> slightly different way to cause this behavior, the results are very much
> the same.

Regards