Re: slow filesystem access mc start take sometimes 1 sec sometimes upto 7 sec or sometimes more

Hello Larry

On 18.09.08, you wrote:

I test always 4-5 times, so all that can go to cache should be in.

>> Is there a way of logging to see what bash do this long time ?
>
> Putting "set -x" in '/etc/profile' will make it spit out everything bash
> does.  You might spot something that way.  If you need to go further,

thanks for your good help.

it hang after the output

++ id -ng

then after 1-7 seconds the bash cursor come.
when i type in
id -ng
in bash  then it is allways fast and print out
Kein
(its the german word for no)
maybe the scripts dont like german words ?
I dont know wy it print out german word, the program have english help text
and is in/bin dir for cygwin.
maybe my german windows send this word ?

i find now out(test over 10 times), the hang on this command is much
shorter, when i deactivate wlan

> you can try 'strace -o bash.log bash -l'.  That will tell you everything
> that's happening internally, with timestamps.  You should be able to get
> some insight into what's taking more time that way and perhaps what you
> should do to fix it.

i do it later, if above text dont help to find problem or a solution

> I don't have any specifics about the issue.  I'd recommend just describing
> the problem you're seeing and pointing them to the Cygwin site with some
> basic instructions on how to get what's needed to reproduce the problem.
> They can take it from there.

the problem seem really stack relatet in my eyes, maybe the logitech prog
hook in every program to check app for webcam and need more stack, and
cygwin tasks have too few stack.it happen randam and stack seem only 65 kb
in size, when i see my crash messages.

but if logitech use program stack is bad coding praxis, a hook code should
use own stack area.

On Visual C++ there is a compiler GUI option to choose  stack.it is default
to 512 kb.
i dont know how can with gcc the apps stack size set for target cygwin and
what the default here is.

Regards