Re: slow filesystem access mc start take sometimes 1 sec sometimes upto 7 sec or sometimes more

Bernd Roesch wrote:
Hello Larry

On 18.09.08, you wrote:

i try now latest cygwin1.dll from 15.9.2008

normaly when i start bash, it take 5 sec.

now with this lib the message soon come huh no etc/fstab file in
\??\E:\amiga\amidevcpp\etc\fstab.d\bernd?
using default root and cygdrive prefix.
You've installed the experimental Cygwin 1.7 package. I doubt that

No, i have only try out newest cygwin1.dll short , in the hope with newest
file it work better.
but it dont work and i have copy old file back.

My cygwin have no fstab file, so i want informate you.
i have install severall times with installer, but dont help

You installed a snapshot. Snapshots are of the upcoming 1.7 version. In 1.7 mount points have changed from being stored in the registry to being stored in the '/etc/fstab' file, just like on Unix/Linux. If you install a snapshot, you need to create your own '/etc/fstab'. 1.7 isn't going to help you track down this problem. I'd recommend avoiding it. Just put the old cygwin1.dll back in place (after stopping all Cygwin apps and services) and you'll be back to what you're used to.

You said before that you saw the same performance problems with
'cygcheck'. Have you tried other Win32 command line programs? Do they have

i type regedit in and regedit window is very fast see. cygwin shell programs as ls or cd etc work fast.

The start of bash(when i click on windows cygwin Icon>)take too 2- 8 sec to
start i notice now.

few starts are done in 2 sec.most take 8 sec

I'm wondering if you're just observing the effects of caching. If I start regedit from cmd.exe, the first time it took almost 3 seconds to pop up the window. The next time it took less than 1. The first time I invoked bash with its own console window, it took a couple seconds. After that, it took less than a second. It always takes less than a second for me to start bash in an existing cmd.exe. If your main problem is starting bash, it may very well be that you have some long tasks you're trying to do in your rc/profile files. I'd recommend checking those.

Is there a way of logging to see what bash do this long time ?

Putting "set -x" in '/etc/profile' will make it spit out everything bash does. You might spot something that way. If you need to go further, you can try 'strace -o bash.log bash -l'. That will tell you everything that's happening internally, with timestamps. You should be able to get some insight into what's taking more time that way and perhaps what you should do to fix it.

a problem? If so, then this really is caused by something other than
Cygwin. You also said that you've uninstalled the Logitech webcam. Did you
also reboot. This is often necessary to remove all hooks of faulty
software from the system.

yes i have reboot after that.i only want informate maybe there are some
files left.i deinstall 3 logitech parts, driver and programs with the
deinstaller.

ok i write to logitech then, can you explain more for logitech support what
problem is ?

I don't have any specifics about the issue. I'd recommend just describing the problem you're seeing and pointing them to the Cygwin site with some basic instructions on how to get what's needed to reproduce the problem. They can take it from there.

Holliston, MA 01746