RE: Kaspersky reports WORM in Coreutils 6.7-1 and 6.7-2

John Sellers wrote on 16 September 2008 10:15:

> (I am VERY tired right now so any I typed here might have typos.)
> Today I ran a scan with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, and it
> reported that a couple of files in the install\cygwin directories were
> infected by Net_Worm.win32.sassor.be.

  It reported wrong.

> My system is WindowsXP Media edition
>
> These were:

C:\install\cygwin\package\http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwi
n\release\coreutils\coreutils-6.7-1.tar.bz2

C:\install\cygwin\package\http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwi
n\release\coreutils\coreutils-6.7-2.tar.bz2

> and more specifically:
>
>   coreutils-6.7-2//user/bin/gkill.exe
>
> I know these are old releases so I am assuming everything is OK.

  Given that those files are old, and have been around your drive for some
time, and suddenly start detecting, you can infer one of two things:

- they're the same as they always have been and it's the AV signature that has
changed.
- they've changed and are now tripping an existing (or perhaps new) signature.

  Given that sasser is a worm that transfers itself in whole from one PC to
another, and not a virus that infects or modifies existing files to attach
itself (and in particular not files way down in a compressed archive), there
is zero chance that these files have become sasser-infected.

  Therefore the signatures have changed and this is a false positive.

> deleted these to tar files and I assume that won't hurt my
> installation.  right?

  Setup.exe will offer to redownload them if you ever want to reinstall, I
think.

  Still, you'd be doing all the other Cygwin+Kapersky users a favour if you
reported the false positive.  Kapersky might update their signatures and save
them the trouble you've been through.

    cheers,
      DaveK