RE: inetutils 1.5-4, ftp + inline password immediately quits

>From: Gary R. Van Sickle [mailto:g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net]
>
>Helpful hint: to reduce your overall hassle level, use ncftp of wget for
>doing this sort of thing, and don't look back.  That will allow you to put
>all of those params on the command line.  Both programs work great on
>Cygwin.

Okay, I looked into ncftp.  This could be useful in some cases, where
we don't need to do anything more than a simple copy.  But ncftpget/put
don't seem to support the 'quote' command, which we need to use in many
cases.  (Didn't want to clutter my example, and 'quote' has no effect on
ftp's failure mode.)

Plus, if it was easy to fuss with all the scripts I'd have just put the
${PASSWORD} on the 'user' command line.  But there are lots of these
scripts, and I don't own most of them.

>From: Andrew DeFaria [mailto:Andrew@DeFaria.com]
>
>Or how 'bout.... <drum roll>
>
>scp!

Probably would not work in my case, the other end of the connection is
a non-Windows box that cares deeply about the difference between ascii
and binary files--not clear to me that scp makes a distinction.  Also
that box has a split personality (which is why we need the 'quote'
command in ftp sometimes, to tell it which personality to use) and I
don't see any way for scp to handle that.

--paulr