OpenSSL eating CPU.

I have a Windows box installed in VMware, and the only thing I use it
for is a VPN -- from my workstation, I have Evolution configured to run
'ssh $windowsbox exec openssl s_client -connect $imap_server:993' to get
at the internal IMAP server.

When the VPN disconnects, and Evolution times out and also disconnects,
I get left with openssl.exe processes eating CPU time -- probably in a
select() or poll() loop noticing that _something_ has happened to the
file descriptors, but for some reason not noticing that they're
_closed_.

This is Cygwin 1.7 (from a few weeks ago), because I need IPv6 -- the
VPN software eats the Legacy IP routes, and the only way I can SSH into
the box is over IPv6.

How would I go about debugging it? Without strace and gdb, I'm a little
lost...

--
dwmw2