Re: Feature Request: bzr package only works within cygwin

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 03:14:31PM +0100, Phillip Lord wrote:

>  cgf> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 04:27:30PM +0200, Phillip Lord wrote:
>  >> The cygwin package of bzr works only within cygwin bash. This is not true
>  >> to cvs or svn which work outside; for example, within a dos shell, "bzr"
>  >> gives "No such program" errors.
>  >>
>  >> Likewise, cygwin bzr doesn't work properly with Emacs vc-bzr.el -- again,
>  >> with no such program errors.
>
>  cgf> If bzr is a script it will work correctly with any Cygwin program.
>
>And not with any non-cygwin program. bzr is in python, rather than an
>executable/binary file. The combination of native Emacs and cygwin is very
>common.

I sure love bold assertions with no supporting facts.

Here's my counter to that:  No it isn't.

>  >> The reason for this is that bzr is a python script and uses the magic !
>  >> line to find it's interpreter. Neither DOS nor Emacs vc-bzr.el interpret
>  >> this correctly. The alternative which is a windows native bzr works fine,
>  >> but doesn't do symlinks properly.
>  >>
>  >> One solution to this would be to put a bzr.bat command into c:/cygwin/bin
>  >> which launches python explicitly. I've tried this with the script below
>  >> and it seems to work fine. It doesn't interfere with cygwin because the
>  >> bzr script (in the same directory) gets called in preference when bash is
>  >> running.
>  >>
>  >> Would it be possible to get this added to the cygwin package?
>
>  cgf> No. We don't add .bat files to Cygwin.
>
>Yes you do. Cygwin.bat. startxwin.bat, several in python.

Ok.  Let me amend the unequivocal statement.

The cygwin .bat file is an entry to the cygwin environment.  It is a
compromise.  Ditto the .bat in X.

Other packages may already include .bat files which are already part of
the distribution or the maintainer may have misguidedly felt that it was
a good idea to include a .bat file.

It is a slippery slope to start adding a .bat file for every script in
the distribution.  Carried to its logical conclusion, we'd end up with a
lot of .bat files and mailing list traffic from people who were
"tweaking" the .bat files or asking questions about .bat syntax.  That
is about as far from the purpose of this project as you can get.

>My use case seems perfectly reasonable;

That may be but your use case is not aligned with the project goals.

>having bzr work from outside the bash shell seems a reasonable to wish
>for.  If you don't like my solution, can you suggest an alternative?

Use Cygwin version of tools and you'll be all set.  Alternatively use
native versions of tools and you won't use Cygwin.

Or, just create your own .bat file and do whatever you like.

cgf