Re: Feature Request: bzr package only works within cygwin

  cgf> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 04:27:30PM +0200, Phillip Lord wrote:
  >> The cygwin package of bzr works only within cygwin bash. This is not true
  >> to cvs or svn which work outside; for example, within a dos shell, "bzr"
  >> gives "No such program" errors.
  >>
  >> Likewise, cygwin bzr doesn't work properly with Emacs vc-bzr.el -- again,
  >> with no such program errors.

  cgf> If bzr is a script it will work correctly with any Cygwin program.

And not with any non-cygwin program. bzr is in python, rather than an
executable/binary file. The combination of native Emacs and cygwin is very
common.

  >> The reason for this is that bzr is a python script and uses the magic !
  >> line to find it's interpreter. Neither DOS nor Emacs vc-bzr.el interpret
  >> this correctly. The alternative which is a windows native bzr works fine,
  >> but doesn't do symlinks properly.
  >>
  >> One solution to this would be to put a bzr.bat command into c:/cygwin/bin
  >> which launches python explicitly. I've tried this with the script below
  >> and it seems to work fine. It doesn't interfere with cygwin because the
  >> bzr script (in the same directory) gets called in preference when bash is
  >> running.
  >>
  >> Would it be possible to get this added to the cygwin package?

  cgf> No. We don't add .bat files to Cygwin.

Yes you do. Cygwin.bat. startxwin.bat, several in python.

My use case seems perfectly reasonable; having bzr work from outside the bash
shell seems a reasonable to wish for. If you don't like my solution, can you
suggest an alternative?

Thanks

Phil