Re: Octave 3.0.1 exits without a prompt, no error message

Marco atzeri-3 wrote:

>> > not considering that Zone Alarm is not cygwin
>> friend
>> > and that your path is a bit messy,
>
> these two can cause the problem.
> you have 5 times cygwin\bin on your path :-?
> plus other not relevant directories.
>
> try also in this way
> cygcheck /usr/bin/octave.exe
>
> in any case it is not a octave fault :-)

I agree, it's not Octave's fault :-) However, Octave is the only application
I can find that fails cygcheck: gcc, perl, python, vim, ls, locate, whatever
I could think of, all generate a list of dlls when I run cygcheck.

I was surprised by the path. My base windows path has a single instance of
cygwin\bin. I have no idea why there are multiples (perhaps leftover cruft
from earlier installations?). I'm not sure I see why multiple sets of a
correct path would cause problems. Zonealarm can cause problems, yes, but
again I'm not sure I understand why zonealarm would discriminate against
cygcheck octave, as opposed to cygcheck everything else.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.