Re: rsync ssh authentication issue

Peter Dinhofer wrote:
Hi,

I am having a strange problem running rsync on cygwin in vista. I have been running a script for years that uses an rsync demon to backup local files on a remote server. It was set up to use ssh as transport with a limited command set for security reasons. When I try to run a test script like,

rsync -e "ssh -i mycert -c blowfish" myfiles root@remoteserver::/

It requests the root password instead of just authenticating. I have run ssh -i mycert to make sure that I could log in. I have tested this exact set up on another vista box and it ran without problem. I have run rsync to the remote server using a different logon to test it also without a problem.

Any suggestions?

Does 'ssh -i mycert root@remoteserver' work? If not, that suggests a problem with access to 'mycert' to me. Review all your .ssh permissions. And make sure 'remoteserver' understands 'mycert'. In other words, it sounds like something has happened to get in the way of pubkey authentication for ssh. You need to resolve that first.

Holliston, MA 01746