Re: SSH publickey problem, password works (Win 2003, OpenSSH_5.1p1, Cygwin DLL1.5.25 )

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Just Me wrote:
> I've been fighting with SSH for a week now, I've read everything I can
> google, it's finally time to ask for help.
>
> I can ssh to any account using a password, no problem.  It bombs with a
> cannot seteuid error in the event log when I use a keypair.

Are you sure the seteuid error is the important one?

> The permissions of /home/sfinfo are 755
Acceptable.

> The permissions of /home/sfinfo/.ssh are 755
Bzzt.

> The permissions of /home/sfinfo/.ssh/authorized_keys are 644
Bzzt.

The symptoms you describe are not what I would expect, but I'm pretty
sure this will definitely not work unless the permissions on .ssh are
0700 and those on .ssh/authorized_keys are 0600.

> The authorized_keys file contains one DSA public key.
OK.

> The permissions on the private key, sfinfo_id_dsa are 600.

...the private key is, of course, on the system you're ssh'ing *from*
while the authorized_keys file is on the system you're ssh'ing *to*,
correct?