Re: Downloading only and updating on a flash drive problem

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> Reformatted.

mtdg wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
mtdg wrote:
I downloaded only cygwin to a flash drive. Later when I tried to do
another
download on a different PC it did not find any of the previous download
and
told me I needed everything.
Did you point it at the same download directory on the flash drive?  Did
you
select the same mirror?
Yes, but as I said because the drive letter had changed on the flash drive
is was really a 'different' directory if you see what I mean

i.e. the inital download was to f:\cygwin\download and the second time it
was to h:\cygwin\download

It has less to do with where you put the download directory than whether 'c:\cygwin\etc\setup' exists and is populated. If you move to a new machine, most likely this directory (structure) doesn't exist and, even if it does, it's likely to be different than the first machine. The moral of the story? <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.mirror>

Looks like I fat-fingered that one. I mistyped the download directory in my test after deleting the 'cygwin' directory. I actually see no difference regardless of the location of the download directory or whether the 'cygwin' directory hierarchy exists. So it WJFFM. My pointer to the FAQ entry is still an important consideration though. If you want mirror semantics, you really want to use a mirroring tool like 'wget' or 'curl' or something.

Holliston, MA 01746