RE: All commands raise an exception

>> My cygwin configuration suddenly started to fail.
>
>  Stop right there.  What did you install on your PC round about that time?
>Hardware?  Software?  Security-related stuff like AV or firewall or
>antispyware?  Logitech Webcam?

>> I case it could help, I mention that I checked bash.exe with
>> Dependecy Walker, it reports a missing DLL DWMAPI.DLL (dynamically
>> loaded).

>  No, delay load is actually a bit different.  It makes loading the DLL
>optional, it's only pulled in at runtime if it's actually needed (when/if the
>program tries to call it).

>>  With the audit feature I checked if bash.exe was trying to access
>> DWMAPI.DLL, it doesn't seem to be the case.

>  Yeh, that's a false positive of some sort.  It's a DLL that exists only on
>Vista, it's pulled in indirectly via the chain dwmapi.dll <- ieframe.dll <-
>mshtml.dll <- shdocvw.dll <-shell32.dll <- setupapi.dll <- mprapi.dll <-
>iphlpapi.dll <- dnsapi.dll <- netapi32.dll <- winsta.dll <- user32.dll <-
>wintrust.dll <- advapi32.dll <- cygwin1.dll.  (boggle!  Note that the wintrust
><- advapi link is also delay-load, so probably none of this gets invoked
>normally.)

>    cheers,
>      DaveK

Thank you for your post.

This is Windows Server 2003 used as a web server,
mainly running IIS 6.0 and SQL Server 2000.

I am the administrator, and truly, no change was
made to the server at that time. Neither hardware,
nor software. I even checked the windows update
history in case an automatic update would have
been downloaded. Nothing at that time.

No antivirus installed. Windows Defender not installed.

Windows Firewall is enabled, but since a long time.

Of course, I tried to reboot the server. Didn't help.

I am totally puzzled...

Phil Ten

ps: thanks for the info about delay load vs dynamically load