rm behaviour when file in use by Windows app?

I have a question about rm behaviour when the file rm'd is already in use by a Windows app. I've looked through the rm manpage/info, but that's just the usual GNU stuff; nothing cygwin-specific.

Let's say I'm using the cygwin bash shell to tidy up a directory of Acrobat pdfs. I do
rm foo.pdf
but as foo.pdf is already open in the Windows Acrobat reader, nothing happens. No error message is given. If I ls, I can still see foo.pdf.

Later, I close foo.pdf in Reader. foo.pdf then immediately and silently vanishes from the file system.

I'm having trouble understanding what happens here. Does the rm for foo.pdf get queued up somewhere, but is blocked by Acrobat's use? Is this the most sensible behaviour?

thanks,

L.

<http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>