Re: DEF files

Konstantin Gorskov wrote:

> Hi! I have build shared dll libs with cygwin , is there any command for auto-generating *.def files for them?

You can have the linker create the .def file as a side effect of linking
the DLL with --output-def (so, -Wl,--output-def,filename from gcc) just
as you can create the import lib in a similar way.  But really, what's
the point?  A def file is generally only useful when you want fine
grained control of what's being exported, and if you autogenerate it in
this way it's just duplicating existing information, it's not being used
to control what's exported.  And if you don't need fine grained control
then you certainly don't need .def files, i.e. creating a DLL is just a
matter of "gcc -shared foo.o bar.o -o filename".

Brian