bash shells not terminating

Most of our users login remotely to Cygwin and I've noticed that if they don't logout correctly (if their connection is terminated unexpectedly) then the bash shell process is still there. Over a period of time these processes build up. I've written a script to detect and kill them but I was wondering if there was a better way. I understand that bash background processes do not automatically terminate when you logout. I've tried to recreate the problem on Solaris but no matter what I do to kill the connection, my login shell always seems to get terminated. I

I've had a trawl through the archives and can't find any mention of this so maybe its not a problem for other users. Or is is at the discretion of a given o/s how to handle orphan processes? I could switch to using another login shell to avoid the problem but was wondering if this is a known problem and if there are any other workarounds for it?

Thanks.

Tim