RE: 1.5.25: Random segfaults in unix tools

Jamie Cole wrote on 04 June 2008 12:56:

> Also we have an identical physical (e.g. non VMWare) machine running the
> same tools and version of Cygwin which does not seg fault. Is it possible
> there is a actually a bug in Cygwin which is causing these problems when
> running on a virtual machine?

  Uhhh, by definition, if the same piece of software doesn't do /exactly/
the same thing on a virtualised machine as it does on a real machine, it is
the *virtualisation* that is at fault, not the software running under it.

> As virtualisation is a growing technology this could cause problems in
> the future

  As virtualisation is a growing technology (as opposed to a stable and
mature technology), it still suffers from bugs.

  This is not to say that putting a workaround to support buggy VMs in
cygwin would necessarily be out of the question, as long as it didn't impact
on the far greater number of users running cygwin on real hardware...

    cheers,
      DaveK